Tuesday, September 22, 2015

repurposing my treasures

Since football season is here, that means Saturdays are my husband's "reserved day of deep couch sitting." If you want to know where my husband will be on a Saturday, it will be in the den on the couch watching ESPN or whatever the channel a game is on. 

So with that being said, I like to find simple projects to do to keep me occupied. I'm not what you call a "football kind of gal." I mean, I'll watch it, but I would rather be doing something else. So this past Saturday, I made this cute little project...



This was originally a door to the cabinet that we use for the tv in the living room. I had taken the doors off because they served no purpose and were in my way. I had put the doors in the garage and forgot about them until I stumbled upon them again while doing laundry. See? Chores have their advantages. 


This is what they looked like before

I also have wallpaper sample books. Because, why not? My mom got them years ago from a store down town that was going out of business. They were just collecting dust in her garage, so I took them home and put them to good use. 


I went through and I cut out all of the wall paper samples and picked my favorite. You would not believe all the different shades of yellow. I then cut each piece into perfectly proportioned squares. Okay, probably not perfect, but no one will be the wiser. 

This is also what I did when made my "wallpaper wall" at the bottom of my stairs...

This is still my favorite thing I've done!


Then I just made a collage with all the squares, taped them all together, put them in the doors as I would a frame, and used a piece of card board as a backing. I hung it up and called it pretty. 



I think for thirty minutes and no cost to me, this was a pretty nifty creation. 

Because this only took me a short amount of time, I had the "itch" to do something else. I have my mother's gene of not being able to sit still for any amount of time, so my mind is constantly thinking of things to do. I decided that my dining room table needed an update. This table was a hand-me-down that I received when my husband and I first got married. I'm sure it was beautiful its prime, but now it's a little outdated. I painted it white about a year ago, but I still felt like it needed another change. So, I tried to "antique" it with an antiquing glaze I had in the garage. 

I failed. It did not turn out like I imagined. I don't like it at all, so I will need to repaint it. Another project for another day. Thats what I love about paint. If you don't like it, just repaint it.


Don't feel bad for laughing, I'm laughing too. Love my heart, I tried. 


I bet you are wondering what the minoins were doing during my "craft time..."


This one sat and watched...


He played "Superman...."


And the tiny one did what he does best, just being cute. 

I'm so thankful for wonderful Saturdays at home.








No comments:

Post a Comment